If you have ever been in need of a thirst quencher may I suggest AGUA DE TAMARINDO. A very Mexican drink found in many Mexican Restaurants and Taquerias, however most of the ones that I have tasted are capable of inducing a sugar overdose.
I remember as a little chavalito helping my grandma make agua frescas for her cenaduria, it always sold very fast. I’m trying to stay as true to her recipe, but I changed a little here and there, remember in these parts of town we sometimes got water from a well and picked out the chicken whilst still alive. She went to the farmers market daily, so the produce was fresh. I always recommend using organic ingredients and alkaline water that is free of chlorine, but please don’t let not having those things from quenching your thirst with the heavenly drink. Like they say “do what you can with what you have right now”. Tamarindo has lots of benefits and is loaded with vitamin B, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, thiamine, phosphorus, riboflavin, and my favorite fiber.
- What you need:
- Tamarindo 6 lg pods
- 2 liters Alkaline Chlorine Free Water
- Pineapple (optional)
- Chia Seeds (optinal)
- Pilloncillo (option) Organic Raw Cane Sugar (optional)
- Remove the shell from the TAMARINDO
- Remove the pit from the TAMARINDO
- Soak the TAMARINDO in water for at least 2 hours, if they are not organic boil for 15 minutes.
- Boil for 15 minutes (organic tamarindo, dont boil)
- Put the TAMARINDO and water into the blender.
- Blend for two minutes of until its has been reduced
- Taste and add Pineapple for sweetness, or add sugar to taste.
- Strain into a glass jug
- add chia seeds
- pour over ice
- serve chilled
Consider making a block of ice, it keeps the Agua Fresca cool while not watering it down.